QUESTION: I urinate every hour.went to e urologists it is from enlarged prostate.last urologist said my bladder has thicked.can frequent urinary eventually damage bladder or does that take a long time.the don't give me medicine except proscar anf Flomax.they done even know if it is bladder kidney function was 1.4 serum=m creatinine.will it damage kidneys eventually.

ANSWER: Howard

Frequent urination does not damage the kidneys or bladder, but the underlying prostate problem can. This does typically take time; usually months. An infection should be easy to identify from a urine sample.  Proscar and climax are the standard treatments. If they are not worming, the Flomax can be increased to 2 daily. If this also does not work, then prostate surgery may be needed. If.this problem is not adequately created, it can eventually damage the kidneys.

QUESTION: if there is no infection but juse frequent urination due to enlarged prostate whould kidneys get badly damaged from frequent urination or more likely infection. have been taking proc-scar and it must have shrank my prostate or else I would not urinate as much.if kidneys are damaged you urinate less

As stated earlier, the kidneys are not damaged by frequent urination by itself but by the underlying cause.  If there is blockage from the prostate, then the bladder has to squeeze harder. This is what can cause kidney damage.

It is not necessarily true that kidney damage causes you to urinate less.  Even people with significant levels of renal failure can still make urine but the urine is much like water and may not contain the same level of waste products that normal urine would have.  

Proscar can shrink the prostate, but it typically takes at least 6 months to work.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute