Urology/Contralateral testicular pain after hernia surgery

Question
Hello Doctor,

I recently had an inguinal hernia surgery and developed very bad on the side of the hernia surgery. After seeing a couple of different specialists, the diagnosis I have received is that I sustained an injury to my genitofemoral nerve during the surgery. Apparently it was either fully or partially transected, resulting in a painful neuroma.

Anyway, aside from that pain, I have also developed pain in the testicle on the contralateral side. I am not sure why this would happen. I have never had any kind of infection in that testicle or any trauma to it. I did have an ultrasound which showed "mild bilateral hydroceles." The pain is of an aching sensation and seems to be coming from the epididymis, but it is hard to tell. Not sure why I would have epididymal pain in that testicle if I've never had epididymitis.

Anyway, any idea what could be causing the testicular pain on that side? I don't think that nerve injury on one side should cause pain in the contralateral testicle, should it? Could it be the mild hydrocele? I'm kind of at a loss. Let me know what you think. Thanks Dr.

Answer
Aaron:

There is no clear or obvious explanation of the pain you are describing.  Hydroceles rarely cause pain and neuropathy on one side should not cause pain on the other side.  I suspect its unrelated.  Check with a local urologist to see what can or should be done.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD