Urology/Frequent urination at night - slow digestion

Hi there,

I am a 34 year old male with an odd condition: some days, if I eat in the evening after a certain time, my digestion is extremely slow, so that I go to bed with the feeling of a very full stomach. Every time this happens, I have to wake up at night to urinate two or three times and have awful nightmares. I have been having this for some years now and never found any advice or a similar case in the extensive research I did on the internet.  Doctors I saw denied a correlation between the digestion issue and the nocturia and thought simply that I was drinking too much liquid at night, which is not the case. They said that this is a condition not known to western medicine.
Suspicion of diabetes was promptly dismissed after urine tests. The odd thing is that this never happens during day time, only at night. I know that certain foods trigger this condition with certainty,for example potatoes, some not. It seems as if my body would be trying to get rid of some toxin through urination, but how to explain that it only happens at night?
I do not drink neither coffee nor alcohol and do not have symptoms of a benign prostata hyperplasia nor of prostatitis.
What could be causing this and is there a way to treat this issue?

Thanks a lot for your help.

There is no specific condition that causes your particular combination of symptoms. Nocturnal can be caused by fluid issues, bladder overactivity, sleeping disorders and a lack of ADH at night. There us nit enough info provided to differentiate these in your notes start by doing a voiding diary where you write down the time and amount of voiding for 24 hours. If nighttime amounts are small, overactivity is suggested,but if amounts arelarge,then it's more likely to be a fluid management issue. Talk to your urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute