Urology/Genitofemoral nerve question that no one seems to know

Hello Doctor,

My question is if the genital branch of the genitofemoral nerve is cut during on orchiectomy. I have asked this question to various doctors and urologists, and no one seems to know the answer. Some have said yes, others have said no, others have said they don't know. It seems logical that this nerve is cut during an orchiectomy since this nerve travels within the spermatic cord, however no one seems to be in agreement on this. Was wondering what your thoughts are. Genital branch of the genitofemoral nerve: cut or not cut during orchiectomy? Thanks Dr.

The genital branch of the genitofemoral nerve controls the crematorium muscle in the superlative cord.  Since it ends in the speromantic cord, it may or not be cut depending on exactly where the orchiectomy is done. Either wah, it is a moot point.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute