Urology/Prostatitis Problems :-(

Question
Hello I am a 31 yr old male who has been experiencing "Prostatitis" issues for the last 6 months.  I went to a urologist initially for "urethritis" and stomach pains.  It was always worse after urination and especially after ejaculation.  Urine tests, std tests, semen culture all negative.

I've seen two urologists, been on 5 different antibiotics (a 1 dose course, then several 10 day courses, then a 30 day course).  Overall the pain and inflammation have decreased in severity and frequency, but is definitely still there - especially noticeable upon ejaculation.  The tip of my penis will be red and inflamed immediately.  If I start to get aroused or "excited" I will feel the cramping pain in my stomach/lower abdomen start to churn immediately.  The severity comes and goes, at worst I am in fetal position on the bed the pain is so bad.

I just finished the 30 day course last week and feel the symptoms getting a worse again.  Is there anything I can take for some relief of these symptoms?  I know the treatment can be long for this condition, but I need something to take the edge off this constant torture.  I've read about palmetto extract, cranberry, garlic, warm paths, probiotics, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil.

Thanks so much!  The information on this site has been very informative.

Answer
Dan:

Use of a long acting anti-inflammatory can help.  I usually recommend Aleve twice a day whether you are having pain or not.

Avoid caffeine and hot spices.

Try sitting on a donut or gel pad like the kind used for wheelchairs.

Single best treatment could be sitting in a hot tub, really hot, for 5-10 minutes 2-3 times a day.  

Best proven help is from quercetin.  This is a natural prostate anti-inflammatory that has been tested and found to be helpful.  There is also a commercial product called "PEENUTS" that has no quercetin but I've found it to be helpful for patients.

Prosta-Q and Cysta-Q are made by Farr labs and has good amounts of quercetin.  

Hope this helps.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD