Urology/Stent removal after 6 months

I just had a stent removed after being left there for 6 months (hospital thought they removed it) and I'm experiencing heavy bleeding. Is this normal? I'm worrie because I lost my right kidney 10 months ago

6 months is a long time to leave a stent which typically stays in for up to 3-4 months.  Heavy bleeding is not normal but not unexpected.  This should gradually slow down but notify your physician.  A short term replacement stent might be necessary.  You might have to stop any blood thinners you are taking and the urine should be checked for infection.  Other than that, there isn't much that can be done for the bleeding.  You should obviously notify your urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute