Urology/ureaplasma

Question
Hello Doctor,

So about two months ago I had unprotected sex with a strange woman (stupid, stupid, stupid, i know and I will never do it again). About two weeks later, I started noticing that the top of my penis is red and slight discomfort while urinating. In the course of another two weeks, this turned into a real pain, so I went to a urologist (so about a month after sleeping with that woman). He took urine sample and did a swab of my urethra and prescribed tetracycline, just to be sure. Next week, when he got the test resluts, he found that I was indeed positive for ureaplasma. Naturally, I took the tetracycline responsibly, for 10 days, 1 pill a day, as he said. Its been nearly 3 weeks now since I finished the antibiotics course. There is now no pain while urinating and the redness is not as bad as it was. But still, it is there and even a minor disturbance causes itching and minor pain - for example when i get an erection and the tip of penis rubs against my underwear.. I dont have sex and dont masturbate, i just want to get rid of this as quickly as possible. I rinse the head of the penis with warm water every day. Dont know what else to do. The doctor said it would disappear over time, but it feels too long to me. How long does it take usually? Also, is it possible I could have also been infected with HIV?

Peter.

Answer
Peter:

There is no standard time for how long it may take for all abnormal sensations to disappear after proper treatment.  HIV would be possible but unlikely and doesn't cause these types of symptoms.  GC and chlamydia are often associated with ureaplasma.

If things haven't begun to improve in 1 more week, contact your physician.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD