Urology/Urge to urinate

Question
So sorry to bother you again Doctor, but I have one more question.....i'm the 69 year old male who you've been kind enough to respond to the last couple of weeks......I was diagnosed with a kidney stone and at last X-ray was located just outside the bladder....Dr. didn't think it was a big deal and i should pass it....I have no pain anymore, just the constant uncomfortable feeling of continually having to urinate.....even if I haven't been drinking much......daytime I can handle it but it's difficult getting an night's sleep....and even if I get up, I usually can't urinate even though I try.....very uncomfortable.....I'm on flomax and he suggested saw palmetto as well.....again, no pain, just the uncomfortable feeling of constantly having to urinate.....sometimes I can pass urine and sometimes I cannot.....do you have any suggestions as to how to get past this feeling?   Really appreciate your time and expertise.

Answer
Don:

Saw palmetto has pretty much been proven not to do anything.  There are medications that can help reduce the urge to void, but they may have some side effects.  Talk to your physician about this.

A stone just outside the bladder that is 5 mm or less is almost certain to pass and even larger ones are usually given a chance to pass without surgery.  If this is not more than 3-4 weeks, it may be reasonable to consider a surgical procedure, either ureteroscopy or ESWL treatment, to get rid of it.

Meanwhile, try avoiding caffeine and take a hot sitz bath just before going to bed.  It helps the bladder relax.  May help a little.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD