Urology/Bladder stones

My husband has had a long history of urinary issues.  He had a TURP surgery abt 5 yrs ago.  He seemed to slightly improve, but then he didnt seem to be doing as well within 6 months.  He had a lot of burning, etc.  That didnt seem to be prevalent before.  Finally he saw a new dr who did urodynamic testing and said he had a slightly floppy bladder and through subsequent testing found 1st dr should have removed more prostate tissue (re growth impeding within a short time).  Over next year and a half. there were multiple UTs. And mult surgeries to remove bladder stones (he never had before) .  olus they had him self catheterizing it got so bad. The dr then found he had a high bladder neck where he assumed the urine was staying in bladder thus forming the stones.  My husband then had vaporization surgery in Dec 2013 to remove more prostate tissue and high bladder neck.  He improved greatly for abt 6 months.  Then his symptoms returned.  The dr went in August 2014 to remove many more stones and biopsy some 'fluffy white matter' near bladder and prostate the stones seemed to be adhering to.  The biopsy was clear and dr assumed that tissue was inflammation caused by stones.  He believed if he took out stones and that area will go away along with stones. He seemed to improve but still had burning so dr put him on low dose of antibiotic for 3 months. He very much improved.  He is now 6 months from last stone removal surgery and in his 3rd month of antiobiotics and urination has started to decline and some burning again.  He feels like something (most likely stones) are impeding urine for last week.
My question is how come these stones keep reforming??? Originally, we were told it is from residual urine thatbstays in bladder but dr says my husband doesn't retain that much considering and he also said he has a clear channel out now.  Also, since last stone removal surgery, he double and triple urinates over a 5 min period to assure bladder is empty.  We cannot understand how these keep recurring and what to do to stop them.  If you know of anything to do or how to help, please let us know. We are desperate. Thank you.

You didn't indicate the chemical nature of the stones and this is where you start.  

If Struvite or triple phosphate, then the stones are due to infection.  

If calcium oxalate or calcium phosphate, then they are coming from the kidneys.  

If uric acid, then he has a chemical problem involving urinary acid and uric acid levels.

If there is a blockage that allows too much urine to stay in the bladder, then the blockage should be removed.

If the bladder is too weak to empty completely, then intermittent straight catheterization is needed.

At this point, the cause of his stones and their chemical composition was not provided so we can't determine the nature of the problem.  

You may want to consider a second urology opinion at a tertiary care, university urology program.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute