QUESTION: in your last e-mail you said infection rate of intermittment catherer is around 1%to 2 %can it ever cause septis

ANSWER: Howard:

Yes, infections from catheters can cause serious infections like sepsis.

QUESTION: that scares the hell out of me.is sepsis rare. Maybe I should just urinate and leave a little urine in my bladder like I did before and only cauterize if I have symptoms

ANSWER: Howard:

You are also at risk for sepsis if you leave too much urine in the bladder or if you need to do catheterizations and you choose not to.

QUESTION: I am overworried about intermittment catherer.I carherize once a day because of enlarged prostate.is infection rate  with intemittment as low as 2% and getting septis from intemmitmemt catherer extremely rare.i am diabetic does that pose danger with catherers.please reassure me I am too worried about intemmitment catherer.a lot of people use them and isn't mild infection the most common reaction.the worrier

I've already answered this question for you.  If you have a prostate and/or bladder problem that prevents normal emptying and your urologist has recommended intermittent catheterization, then that is the best way to avoid infections, sepsis, renal failure and lots of other problems.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute