Urology/Complete torn suspensory ligament

QUESTION: Hello, I have a question regarding the suspensory ligament. I believe I have completely torn it. Will it recover on its own, if so how long? I've read on forums that other people who experienced torn suspensory ligament have experienced a lot of pain, but that's not my case. I don't experience pain at all, only a little bit of ache that rarely happens. What's the out look for my penis health?

ANSWER: Denis:

You didn't provide any information on how the ligament might have been torn or why you think it's been damaged.  Most of the time, the only way to completely tear the suspensory ligament is with surgery or by a massive pelvic trauma such as a motor vehicle accident.

If other things are working (sensation, erection, voiding) and there are no apparent anatomical or physiological deficits, we may just leave it alone.

You may want to consult a local urologist to be sure, but completely tearing the suspensory ligament of the penis would be highly unusual.

QUESTION: Sorry for not providing enough information.

Here is what happened, I was laying down with my partner on top of me and he pushed my penis in the direction towards my feet, and I heard a pop sound then my penis lost erection. However, there was no swelling or bleeding or anything. The next day I was able to get an erection, and ejaculation was fine. A month later when i was riding on my friend's back, he pushed my groin region a little too hard against his back while supporting me on his back, at the moment I felt some pain. I checked to see if everything was okay, and it looked like the base of the penis looked a lot looser. My penis hangs much lower than before, and there was clear gap (about 1/4 inch deep) at the base of the penis shaft, which is a sign of a torn ligament. However, I don't know what happened the gap that can be seen clearly with naked eye is gone. I also notice a gap on the scrotum in between the testicles and my testicles are hanging a bit lower than usual but my doctor did a physical exam and claimed they are okay.

To this day, I do not have morning erection, but I do have night time erection, I can get erection and ejaculate sitting and laying down. The only problem is difficult getting and keep erection standing up (only successful on very few occasions). One other thing is I'm also experiencing cold penis in the upper shaft where the glans is.

Based on the information provided. Is the ligament completely torn and will my penis be okay? Will this lead to ED and will my sexual life suffer?

Thank you very much for providing useful information while I am not able to get seen by a urologist at the time. Much Appreciated!

Based on the provided information, I cannot determine if the ligament is torn or not.  You obviously need to stop causing more damage to this area.  Currently, it sounds like you are functioning.  You might notice some improvement with Viagra type meds but to be sure you may want to see a local urologist.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute