Urology/Intercourse & Cervix

During intercourse, is it possible for the penis to contact the cervix?

If so, is it possible for the penis to enter into the opening of the cervix and enter the uterus?

I know that these situations are most likely rare, but are they possible?

I thank you for your replies.

ANSWER: Kenneth:

It is possible for the penis to contact the cervix during intercourse.  It is not possible for the penis to enter the cervical opening or ureterus.

QUESTION: Hello and thanks for the reply!

Why is it not possible to penetrate the cervix? Is the opening just too tight and will not permit any penetration?

I thank you for your follow-up reply.

In the first place, there would be very few male organs long enough to reach it.  The more significant answer is that the cervix is closed tight and much too small to allow the penis to enter.  This makes sense as if it did, it could jeopardize a new pregnancy or damage the delicate tissue inside the uterus.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute