Urology/Non-Ejaculatory orgams/Sexual Kung Fu

Hi Dr. Leslie,

I'm interested in learning a practice of achieving orgasms without non ejaculation.  It is a taoist practice called sexual kung fu whereby you can achieve orgasm without ejaculating primarily through the same muscle as kegel exercise.  HOwever, I believe more advanced practicitioners don't rely on any muscle but redirecting the chi.

I was wondering from your expertise what is your opinion of this practice?  Are you familiar with it at all?  I didn't know if not having ejaculations is unhealthy or would predispose one to health issues as otherwise.  I'm interested in this practice because I read that ejaculation takes away from one's "essence" and the loss of energy is evidence of that afterwards.

Please any insight appreciated.

I am not familiar with this practice and would not recommend it.  There is a reason why ejaculation and orgasm are tied together through a reflex.  Deliberately trying to distort or alter this will disturb the balance and might cause reflux prostatitis and/or retrograde ejaculation which can be problems later.

There is no truth to the myth that ejaculation causes a loss of "essence" whatever that is.  The lethargy that accompanies ejaculation is physiologic and is there for a reason.  It is usually transitory and harmless.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute