Urology/prostate calcification

Hi Dr. Thank you for you time and valuable opinion.

I am a 29 year old male. Over one year ago I developed pain in my testicles. Trip to the ER. I was given an ultra sound of testicles and CT scan to rule out kidney stones. All came back negative. I was given 10 days of Bactrim DS. Due to suspected Prostatitis. The Bactrim helped but not fully. I was later referred to a urologist. After given a DRE. My urologist confirmed prostate was an issue.  He then ordered a  Prostatic Fluid culture. After that test was done. I was told bactrea was found in prostate culture. And was given he proper antibiotic for this bactrea. After I finished the course of the antibiotics. was feeling good. After a follow up with my urologist. And receiving another DRE. He wanted to do a prostate ultra sound. Ultra sound showed heavy calcification on prostate. And biopsy for cancer was negative. My urologist said prostate now fills normal. Infection free.

My questions are what is the cause of calcification of the prostate?
Will this cause another infection down the road?
What are the treatment options?
I have also noticed and I do not know is this is related or not. I tent to get heavy Pre-ejaculate (precum) when just getting an erection.

Thank you in advance for you time.

Calcifications in the prostate are very common and rarely anything clinically dangerous.  They most often form from compression of the prostatic ducts at the capsule.  The prostate is naturally alkaline and calcium phosphate stones will form when the ducts don't drain well in an alkaline environment.  More stones will form after infections, but they are most closely related to benign prostatic enlargement.  Only very rarely will these stones get involved with prostatic infections. There is no specific treatment.

Your heavy pre-cum or pre-ejaculate volume is not related.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute