Urology/uretor stone problem

Sir, I have 8 mm stone in my uretor Dr. Suggested for uretrscopy.what are the side effects and success rate of this procedure.Is it painful? And after operation what precaution I have to take after that surgery.And what food would be suitable for me after operation.

Ureteroscopy is one of the ways we deal with larger stones in the ureter.  It has a high success rate, usually over 90%, but it depends on the skill of the surgeon, the available equipment such as scopes and lasers, etc.  Side effects include the need for a double J stent after surgery which can be uncomfortable, bleeding, ureteral spasm, infection and scarring  Further, nothing is done about prevention of any future stones.  Ureteroscopy can take time so there are anesthesia related issues.

The other way to deal with these stones is with ESWL or lithotripsy.  These machines can fragment the stone into tiny pieces, but then we have to wait for the stone fragments to pass.  Often a double J stent is used just like in ureteroscopy.

The decision on which method to use depends on the availability of the equipment as well as the exact size and location of the stone.  Stones closer to or in the kidney are more likely to use the ESWL machine, stones lower in the ureters will often get ureteroscopy.

Either way, when this stone is over, ask the physician about 24 hour urine collection testing to help identify the underlying causes.  This is the only way to know why you are making stones.  Without that information, it's hard to give advice other than to drink more water!

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute