I urinate at day with small stream.i had 300cc in bladder last doctors visit.when I cathereize at night three quarters a cup of urine comes out despite urinating small amounts all day.after catherization I still urinate about half hour later.think I should still catherize at night despite urinating small amounts during day

Most likely your problem is more complicated.  If you can void 300 cc, then your bladder has at least that capacity.  Voiding small amounts means there is either inadequate emptying or overactivity.  Since you are doing catheterizations, it is more likely to be inadequate emptying but the reason is unclear.  Is there a neurogenic or damaged bladder?  Is there some scar tissue or prostate blockage?  For some reason, things are not working well.

Without knowing more details, it's hard to give an opinion but in general when bladders don't empty well we recommend intermittent catheterization. I usually recommend it 4 times a day: Morning, After Lunch, After Dinner and Bedtime.  Talk to your urologist about the optimal timing for your particular problem.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute