Urology/8 hour erection

Hi Doc,

I wanted to ask you if I should be concerned. Long story short a urologist injected me for ultrasound.  I ended up with an 8 hour painful erection.  He did not manage any expectations just said matter of factly "this will go down in a couple of hours". I took 2 sudafed and used frozen vegetables to finally bring it down after 8 full hours. Thing is, I feel differently down there and erections now seem painful and tougher to achieve one month later. Is this in my head or is there a chance for damage?  What should I do as I have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks and am a bit apprehensive and angry with this doctor.

Thank you.

The physician should have issued instructions on what to do if the erection remained after 4 hours such as go to the ER where a counteracting agent could have been given.

My suggestion is to discuss this with the physician at your next visit, but if you are uncomfortable continuing or if your questions are not satisfactorily answered, you may be more comfortable with a different urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute