i'm getting excessive hairs on my arms and body at the age of 36. i had normal hair distribution like all males. but from last year i saw increased hair growth on my arms, legs and chest including upper arms and shoulders. Dr leslie i also have receding hairline (mbp) but at this age growing so much hair, is it abnormal or this may be related to some testosterone excess or hormonal problem? i also have libido changes sometimes high sometimes very low. i do not take any medicine and never had any kind of anabolic steroids?

Technically,this is not a urological question but I'll give it a try.  If your hair growth is truly excessive, it may be related to either high testosterone levels or increased sensitivity of the hair follicles to relatively normal testosterone.  The fluctuations in libido may or may not be related.  You should check with your primary physician or internist to look into these issues for you.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute