Urology/ed

Question
hello doctor, i'm 32 years old healthy male. I had some acidity related problem so my dr prescribed me pantaprazole with levosulpiride. After taking it for two days i'm experiencing low libido and ed. I read that d2 receptor blocker like levosulpiride can cause ED due to high prolactin. I'm not sure but may be it can cause permanent erectile dysfunction or low libido? plz guide.

Answer
John:

I am not personally familiar with this drug, however in researching it I found that it can indeed increase prolactin levels which would decrease testosterone.  This is not likely to be permanent and it does not cause ED.  A lower dose of the drug can be tried or it can be stopped and an alternative drug ordered for you.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD