Urology/peeing for my wife

Question
Good Morning Doctor:

I have a question regarding my wife and her peeing issues, maybe. Just a little background information on her. Recently she has had some major memory issues, as she has this non-malignant tumor on her head/brain near the eye. She had some major radiation done about 5 to 7 years ago. It effected her memory badly (short term memory). As such, she is dizzy, shaky and tends to stumble or fall allot. The doctors don't want to admit their mistake. She was fine before this needless radiation.

Anyways, here is my question to you. When she had to go to the bathroom to pee it is fine and she goes. However, sometimes she thinks she has to go, and nothing happens or nothing comes out.

She attends this seniors place and they called me the other day wanting to know why she has to go to the bathroom so many times when she really does not have to go.

My question is , is this some type of memory or bad brain signal? Or is there some urinary problem?

She just had some urine sample tests and blood work just done recently and everything was OK.

Does she need any tests done? Is there some type of blockage? What type of test can the GP do? Urine samples again? Or something else? Or is it a brain/memory issue, or bad signal from the brain? And therefore, nothing can be done.

I am prepared to monitor the same and see any progress. Any type of information will be helpful. Thanks.

Answer
Joe:

From the available information, it's impossible to know if this is a true bladder issue or a brain problem.  It sounds like she can void fine but has increase sensation of urgency.  Since this does not appear to be constant, it might be amenable to some OAB type drugs that increase bladder capacity and reduce the sensation of urinary urgency.  She should talk to her GP and possibly consult a urologist to look into the bladder situation.  A blockage would be highly unlikely.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD