Urology/Prostate TURP procedure

TO be brief. 1)Did they not do enough irrigation of the bladder/prostate after my Trans Urethral Resection of Prostate day surgery. There are so many partial blockages/clots.
2)WHY do they not tell the patients that there will be no more sperm and dry ejaculation. Is this permanent. Can you get infections if the sperm travels in the opposite direction now. 3) How long will it be before I can have an orgasm without burning and minor pain. It has been three weeks since procedure. Thank you very much for your time.

Normally, there is some bleeding after TURP surgery and this can go on for weeks.  Typically, it's more of a nuisance than a serious bleed.

Surgeons are expected to tell patients about all reasonably expected outcomes which would clearly include a change in ejaculation.  This change is permanent as the tissue that directed the semen to come out of the penis has been removed with no way to restore it.  When semen goes backwards into the bladder it's called retrograde ejaculation and it causes no harm or infections.  

Orgasm without discomfort typically takes about a month to recover and heal.  If this persists, talk to your physician.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute