Urology/Prostate TURP procedure

Question
TO be brief. 1)Did they not do enough irrigation of the bladder/prostate after my Trans Urethral Resection of Prostate day surgery. There are so many partial blockages/clots.
2)WHY do they not tell the patients that there will be no more sperm and dry ejaculation. Is this permanent. Can you get infections if the sperm travels in the opposite direction now. 3) How long will it be before I can have an orgasm without burning and minor pain. It has been three weeks since procedure. Thank you very much for your time.

Answer
Jim:

Normally, there is some bleeding after TURP surgery and this can go on for weeks.  Typically, it's more of a nuisance than a serious bleed.

Surgeons are expected to tell patients about all reasonably expected outcomes which would clearly include a change in ejaculation.  This change is permanent as the tissue that directed the semen to come out of the penis has been removed with no way to restore it.  When semen goes backwards into the bladder it's called retrograde ejaculation and it causes no harm or infections.  

Orgasm without discomfort typically takes about a month to recover and heal.  If this persists, talk to your physician.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD