Urology/semem leak

Question
I am in my mid-40s and over the past year or so I have noticed that I sometimes have a small amount of semen discharge present on the end of my penis before I go to the bathroom.  It's not a lot, just enough sticky discharge to be annoying.  My wife and I are sexually active but don't have sex as much as we used to, my sex drive has decreased, and there sometimes appears to be a positive correlation between days from last ejaculation and semen leakage.  But not always.

I do urinate more frequently than I used to, but it's usually manageable by drinking less fluids when needed.  If I drink too much fluids, like a full pot of coffee, I urinate multiple times per hour or even half hour, and sometimes the sensation of urination won't go away.  Occasionally my urinate has a strong smell, even if just drinking lots of water.  From the homework I've done on the web, these symptoms appear similar to enlarged prostate and/or bladder infection, but they are not consistent and have gone away.  I just wanted to bring this up in case it's related to the main semen leakage question.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Answer
Jon:

I doubt that the fluid is actually semen even if it appears that way.  This could be an infection or just fluid from the periurethral glands or even prostatic secretions.  The body does not allow semen to leak out that easily.  An enlarged or infected prostate is certainly a possibility.  Have your local physician check it for you.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD