Urology/Swollen testicle

Last week I had flu symptoms then over the weekend my left testicle swelled up and now is a hard oblong shape. I don't feel any fluid around it. I went to my GP and he sent me for an ultrasound today but I won't know any results for days. Since this is the first time anything like this has ever happened I am a little  freaked out. He gave me antibiotics and told me to ice it as needed. Also taking ibuprofen. I am 54 and didn't recently have any injury in the area.

I apologize for sounding silly but waiting for a few days is driving me crazy. For what its worth the ultrasound tech told me not to worry as its looked to her to be an infection which is common. (Not to me!!)

Any words of wisdom would help me get some sleep until my next MD apt next week.

There is no chance of an STD as I have not had sex in many months.

Thanks for your input up front.

In your age group, an infection called epididymo-orchitis is the most likely cause.  A hernia can also appear as a swollen testicle.  Initial treatment is ice, ibuprofen and antibiotics; just what you are getting.  The swelling typically takes quite a while to improve.  Testicular cancers in your age group are quite uncommon.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute