Urology/Leaking or dribbling

QUESTION: Good Day Doctor:

I had a routine blood test, non fasting. The Creatinine level was slightly high. The doctor has asked to repeat the test in 2 weeks. No urine sample was taken. The next test will include urine as well. What would be considered high, and something to worry about.

My question what would cause this increase for the first time ever. What issues could be at risk (kidney's)?

What other tests can be taken. Could this also have anything to do with the prostate problems , and dribbling issues.

That a pretty long list of questions and "what if's".  Typically, creatinine is considered high if it's over 1.5 but this depends alot on age.  A 24 hour urine test called a creatinine clearance is a more accurate way of measuring renal function.  If you are diabetic or have high blood pressure, this might be a concern.  If not, it's probably nothing but your physician will be able to tell you.

An increase in creatinine can be from a disease like arteriosclerosis or diabetes as well as bladder outlet obstruction or even dehydration.  Prostate problems like dribbling could be an indication of outlet obstruction or urinary retention which can cause renal failure.  Again, your physician will be checking this.

QUESTION: Thanks doctor:

I am not diabetic as far as I know. Getting more blood work for that as well. In so far as blood pressure, I do take medication to control it. However, it is not high.

So the only issue left is the prostate problems like dribbling, which I do get however, it is not too bad. Will discuss this with the doctor.

How can the dribbling be considered obstruction or urinary retention?

Finally, drinking allot of diet pop like coke can cause urinary (dribbling), or maybe a form of excess sugar.

Dribbling can indicate prostate enlargement, overflow, retention or nothing at all. It is not usually related to diet pop intake.

QUESTION: Good Afternoon Doctor:

My follow up question is regarding leaking or dribbling or urine. I do get a very slight leaking down my leg, however, nothing down my pants or underwear.

It does not bother me that much.

However, I find that I have no enlarged prostate as per doctor's examination. I am not diabetic as per last blood work.

I am getting some more blood work done next week, and glucose is one of them , plus others.

I had a urinalyis and no signs of anything as of yet.

Am I too be concerned.

A rectal exam even by a physician does not rule out an enlarged prostate.  Your dribbling could still be a sign of overflow, retention, prostate enlargement or a weak sphincter.  If this dribbling bothers you or gets worse, consult a urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute