Urology/Clots during urination

I am 77 yrs old,had prostate seeds implanted in 2010 & radiation therapy. I am experiencing clots coming out during urination.The clots are sometimes an inch long in erratic shapes along with red color from blood. After elimination my urine is back to normal color until the clots appear the next time I urinate. I am on blood pressure medication as well as Tamsulosin, furosemide,warfarin. Could these medications be causing the clots? Is there any medication to clear up the situation. I've had a few cystoscopys and go to a urologist. Any suggestions

Thank You

The combination of radiation therapy and a blood thinner like warfarin often causes bleeding.  The best thing to do is to temporarily stop the warfarin while you are bleeding and contact your urologist for more instructions based on your individual situation.  There is no medication specifically designed and approved to stop urinary bleeding.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute