Urology/epididimytis

Question
QUESTION: Hi Stephen
Age of 60. No risk of std.
I have had left sided scrotal pain for about 4 weeks.  Dr. has tentative diagnosis of epididimytis.  Low grade fever at night but no day time fever.  
The pain is worse when  I wake and then gradually lessens throughout the day and sometimes disappears in the evening
Ultrasound showed no torsion or obvious enlargement of epididimys. Some evidence  of fluid seen. Tried ofloxacin for 2 days but stopped due to affecting bowels
Question: should I persevere with ofloxacin and tolerate mild diarrhoea?
Is it worth investigating if I have BPH?
Would the symptoms of pain on waking subside after about 3 days of ofloxacin?
Any other thoughts appreciated

ANSWER: Shailesh

Epididymitis is the most likely cause based on your description.  Relief may or may not be seen in a few days.  The longer duration of the problem and the fluid collection may extend trreatment. Call your physician to see about changing your antibiotic.

QUESTION: Dear Stephen
I finished the 2 week course of ofloxacin about 2 weeks ago. I still have some discomfort in the left scrotum.  The pain level is about 1 on a scale of 1 to 5. I don't fancy more antibiotics. What is the prognosis and what options are now available to me?
Regards
Shailesh

Answer
Shailesh:

If the problem was epididymitis and it's been treated, then it should continue to slowly improve.  The pain would be expected to gradually diminish; meanwhile it is usually controllable with ibuprofen.  When it is finally healed, the testicle may have some extra lumps or it may be otherwise different than it was before the infection.  There is usually not much that can be done for that.  If the testicle continues to be bothersome without improvement, contact your physician.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD