Urology/Epididymitis-what activities to avoid and are OK

I have had a bout of Epididymitis for about 5-6 weeks now. Some days the pain is significant some days the pain is minimal. I went to my PCP who suggested an ultrasound, which I had done, and had "normal" results. She also recommended a visit to a Urologist. The Urologist I saw said that it is likely not a bacterial infection and is more likely related to an "autoimmune" problem. I asked some questions, but he wasn't very direct and I had difficulty ascertaining exactly what kinds of activities were OK and what activities I should avoid.

I commute by bicycle daily to my job. It is about 7-8 miles round trip. I have avoided bicycling for about 2 weeks now and have been taking Ibuprofen for pain and inflammation. I am hoping that you can give me some better guidance as to whether I can get back on the bicycle or if it is something I should continue to avoid for a while? Is it OK to engage in sexual activity? If so, how often? I have been married for over 10 years and not concerned about a STI/STD. What other suggestions do you have for me to help resolve this bout of Epididymitis? It seems to be lingering longer than I had expected.

Thank you in advance for your help with this problem.

Epididymitis for 6 weeks is unusual.  Usual treatment is antibiotics and ibuprofen. If symptoms persist, a surgical procedure to remove the testicle should be considered. An STD is unlikely with normal labs. Sexual activity is OK if there is no pain. Gold luck.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute