Urology/Foreskin swelling

Question
I've been to doctor who said I had penile edema but the foreskin is still swollen under the head of my penis? What can be done to reduce swelling ?

Answer
Paul:

Your description is a little confusing.  By definition, the foreskin is in front of the head of the penis.  If there is penile skin behind the head that is swollen, this is something different.  If the foreskin is caught behind the head of the penis, when it usually is in front, this is an abnormal condition called a paraphimosis and needs immediate medical attention.

To answer your question, in general, when there is persistent swelling of the penis, treatment involves general medical treatment of the underlying condition when appropriate (like water pills to reduce fluid buildup) and elevation of the penis so the fluid in the swollen portion can drain.  If this is persistent, check with a local urologist

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD