You are here:

Urology/Foreskin swelling


I've been to doctor who said I had penile edema but the foreskin is still swollen under the head of my penis? What can be done to reduce swelling ?


Your description is a little confusing.  By definition, the foreskin is in front of the head of the penis.  If there is penile skin behind the head that is swollen, this is something different.  If the foreskin is caught behind the head of the penis, when it usually is in front, this is an abnormal condition called a paraphimosis and needs immediate medical attention.

To answer your question, in general, when there is persistent swelling of the penis, treatment involves general medical treatment of the underlying condition when appropriate (like water pills to reduce fluid buildup) and elevation of the penis so the fluid in the swollen portion can drain.  If this is persistent, check with a local urologist


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]