Urology/hydration and nocturia

Question
I'm a 63 yr. old male and was told I have a slightly enlarged prostate that is normal size for my age. I have been getting up during the night at least two times to urinate, even though I drink little fluids past 6pm. But I have been drinking a lot more water during the day to stay hydrated. Could the daytime increase in fluids still contribute to the more frequent urination during the night, even many hours later?  Thanks

Answer
Lee:

Yes it can.  The kidneys don't work instantly and it takes time for fluid levels to equilibrate.  This time can vary from one individual to another.  A few tips on nocturia.

If you are taking a water pill like lasix, take it after lunch rather than in the morning.

After dinner, limit extra fluid intake and keep your legs/feet elevated until bedtime. The legs are where extra fluid accumulates so if the legs are up, the extra fluid comes out before you go to bed and not after.

Avoid caffeine at dinner and later.

If these simple measures fail to help, consider a consultation with a local urologist to see if there is any bladder overactivity or prostate enlargement issues that might need further attention.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD