Urology/hydration and nocturia

I'm a 63 yr. old male and was told I have a slightly enlarged prostate that is normal size for my age. I have been getting up during the night at least two times to urinate, even though I drink little fluids past 6pm. But I have been drinking a lot more water during the day to stay hydrated. Could the daytime increase in fluids still contribute to the more frequent urination during the night, even many hours later?  Thanks

Yes it can.  The kidneys don't work instantly and it takes time for fluid levels to equilibrate.  This time can vary from one individual to another.  A few tips on nocturia.

If you are taking a water pill like lasix, take it after lunch rather than in the morning.

After dinner, limit extra fluid intake and keep your legs/feet elevated until bedtime. The legs are where extra fluid accumulates so if the legs are up, the extra fluid comes out before you go to bed and not after.

Avoid caffeine at dinner and later.

If these simple measures fail to help, consider a consultation with a local urologist to see if there is any bladder overactivity or prostate enlargement issues that might need further attention.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute