Urology/hypotonic bladder , painful catheterisation

Question
dear doctor,
I am a male  patient of hypotonic urinary bladder developed due to symptomless, neglected long term bladder outlet obstruction and prostate enlargement and two hopful surgeries are of no use and i am on CISC 5-6 times a day.
  My splinter relaxes for catheterisation only when i pass few drops of urine other wise i should struggle for insertion. Further CISC  is always painful for me esp. while removing the catheter.  Detailed examination including cytoscopy, antibiotics are of no use. The neck of bladder throws in to painful spasms once the catheter was inserted till its removal and pain is more intense before the onset of infection and whenever i cath outsidethe home  making it very difficult to come in terms with life. Previously i experienced infection one/3months but when i shifted to catheters with polished, smooth eyelets they reduced to once in 6months . Cipro is the standard drug. urologist prescribed Detoropan 0.25 mg BID and this reduced the spasms but i am unable to relax the splinter by passing some urine as the contractions are virtually stopped.As a result iam struggling to insert the catheter. iam also prescribed to use tryptomer 10mg TID when i complained pain after ejaculation which is also not helpful. .
 Are previous surgeries  damaged the passage so that passing and retrieving the catheter are stinging? please advise me to mitigate the painful catheterisation and recurrent infections.

regards
         ramakrishna

Answer
Ramakrisha:

There is no evidence of any damage from the prior surgeries.  If there was some, it would have been visible at the time of the cystoscopy.  Use of a smaller catheter, possibly one that is pre-lubricated, might help.  If this is not adequate, another approach is to adjust the fluid intake so that the ICP can be done a little less often.  The goal is to get each catheterization to about 450 mL each.  If this is done 4 times a day, it would create 1800 mL which is more than the usual urine output for most normal people.  Another possibility is prostatitis which could explain some of the spasms and sensitivity.

If this is not successful, you may need to consider a suprapubic tube.  Talk to your local urologists about this possibility.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD