Urology/Kidney Stones

Question
Hello,

A few days ago, my urine was was brownish color, like it was saturated in blood. I went to urgent care, and they said I probably had kidney stones. I was sent to go get a CT scan, and was told I have stones in both kidneys. I've been referred to a urologist, but they couldn't get me in until the end of the month.

About 2 days after my urine turned colors, it cleared back up to it's normal color. The only discomfort I've experienced was very mild, on my right side, towards my hip. It really just felt like I slept on it wrong.

My questions are: is this normal for it to 'show up' and 'disappear' like that? I was under the impression that once it started, nothing would let up until it passed. Also, what causes it to bleed so much? Is there anything you could recommend I do, or don't do, between now and my appointment(like avoid this food or activity)? P.S. Thanks for providing this service!

Answer
Daryl

Kidney stones are very unpredictable.  Pain or no pain;blood or no blood.  It certainly isn't true that once started it has to be continuous until they pass. They typically flare intermittently just as you have described.  The bleeding co.as from contact befween the stone and the ureter. When there is pressure, the ureter is scratched and bleeds. Until you can SSE your physician just try to drink a little more water. You can also ask him to call in a.prescription for you for some tamsulosin. It helps stones to pass.  Also ask about 24 hour urine testing for prevention testing later.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD