Few days ago I have noticed a tiny hard lump on My right upper side of my scrotum away from my right testicle. it feels like it's on one of my tunes or vein down there. Doesn't hurt unless a squeeze it. I do have a cyst on my upper right testicle but have had it for years now. But sg as in its away from my testicle and cyst. Lately I have been doing some scrotum stretches to get my scrotum to hang lower especially my right side. Can u please help me?????...

Pat, as you might imagine, for this type of problem it is not possible for me to make an exact diagnosis or give recommendations over the internet because of the inability to take a more complete history and do a physical examination.  However, I shall try to help you.

In evaluating lumps inside the scrotum, it is important to differentiate those that are extra-testicular, (originating from the contents of the scrotum but not actually from the testicle) from those that are originating from the testicle per se.  The former (as it seems your lump is) are very common and almost always benign.  Such examples would include hernia, varicocele, epididymal cyst, spermatocele, hydrocele, etc.  Inflammation of the epididymis (epididymitis) typically produces a mass in this structure that gradually recedes as healing occurs.  After a vasectomy, a small, sensitive mass can develop at the site of surgery called a spermatic granuloma. There also exists a small embryonic remnant on the upper pole and the testicle and another on the head of the epididymis.  These are called the appendix testis (also know as the hydatid of Morgagni) and the appendix epididymis respectively.  None of the requires treatment and they are generally painless.  The one exception is that occasionally the appendix can twist (torsion) and shut off its blood supply.  This produces a painful nodule that gradually disappears in a week or so.  Sometimes they are removed surgically if one cannot differentiate them from torsion of the testicle.  

Testicular lesions can also be benign, the most common of these being a tunica albuginea cyst which characteristically is smooth, round, painless and rarely more than 5mm in size.  All other masses of the testicle are to be considered tumor until proven otherwise.  A urologist can usually differentiate between the various lesions on physical examination.  An ultrasound of the scrotum will generally be done if the diagnosis is not obvious or there is concern about tumor. 

From your description, I suspect that your lesion is an insignificant and benign one.  However, since the evaluation of scrotal lumps by a layman can be difficult & inaccurate, it is my advice to consult with a urologist.  Good luck.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Arthur Goldstein, M.D.


Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.


I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.