Hello doctor im a 27 year old male  its been a month and a half I  started experiencing a fluidic discharge from penis with loose erections at time. I checked with local urologist and he performed direct rectal examination and asked me to get uroflowmetry done. Upon performing DRE he told me that ive inflammed prostate as i experienced certain pain when he  touched my prostate. And ,also uroflowmetry confirmed it further that there was some problem. He declared my case as borderline chronic prostatitis. He prescribed me synceff 500 mg, rabik dsr 10 mg , alfugress 10 mg , nerovin plus for initial 10 days  .And further replaced them by afdura ,synceff 500 mg, lycocob , doxycycline and zap dsr for next 17 days . After near about a month after taking medicines  performing DRE there was considerable improvement because fuidic discharge  has reduced and prostate was 90 percent fine as there was no pain when he touched it. The urologist has asked me to continue with afdura for next 15 days every alternate night as uroflowmetry suggests void flow of urine. Doctor please tell me how long will it still take for my prostate to return to normal . Is this ibfection recurrence ? Should i go for product named URIBIOTIC as ive heard its herbal and cures it  completely . Please tell me am i on right path and do i need to go for alternate measures such as Uribiotic or homeopathy.   looking forward to your answer.          Thanks          Akkii

I cannot tell you how long it will take for the prostate to return to normal as it varies from one patient to another.  It will take as long as it takes!  Since this seems like a single episode, it is not likely to be a recurrence. Recurrences can be best avoided by not shortening the overall treatment period.  I have no knowledge or experience with Uribiotic but I have yet to find an herbal product with proven efficacy in prostatitis with the single exception of Quercetin which has been tested and shown to be helpful in prostatic inflammations.  This ingredient is present in a number of products, but the ones I usually recommend are Cysta-Q and Prosta-Q by Farr labs. As an allopathic physician I would prefer not to comment on homeopathy.

In my experience, 4-6 weeks of treatment minimum with appropriate antibiotics combined with dietary adjustments (no caffeine or hot spices), hot sitz baths twice a day and anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen.  Further advice should come from your urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute