Urology/sensation during urine

Question
Hi Dr. Leslie I have a question. When males urinate on a normal basis how much sensation should one feel as the urine exits the body? should u feel a warm sensation? The reason I ask is bc I do feel a warm sensation but i sometimes worry if this is something serious. two years ago I had an oral sex encounter which is my only encounter till date since I am still a virgin and I worry a lot about what if I have an std since I dont have any symptoms that u hear about like cold sores or discharge but im confused on the urine part bc I can go to the bathroom so I dont know if i fully understand if I know what it means when I real burning/pain sensation? Does that mean it burns in a way that you cant even go to the bathroom bc its that bad? is there a range of the burn? Any help would be appreicated.

Very worried25

Answer
It is difficult to describe what is "normal" regarding urinary sensation.  In general, a mild feeling of warmth during voiding is not unusual.  When this is unusually severe or painful, we typically would then call it burning or dysuria and consider it abnormal.  An STD given your history is not totally impossible but quite unlikely but a standard urethritis (inflammation of the tube in the penis) would be far more common.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD