Urology/My sisters Kidneys

Question
Hello and thank you in advance
My sister is 65 year old and for years has suffered renal colic The doctors always said her kidney blood tests were ok or at least said nothing about her kidneys. Last year a Doctor told her that her Creatnine  was 145 normal is between 45 to 90;  here Australia  her eGfR was only 33 levels should be over 59, She cannot understand what is wrong with her, she is a non drinker. Does this mean she has kidney disease and could it be caused by low Viatamin D what else could these readings indicate she has no edema and is on meds for blood pressure
Your help would be appreciated
Helen

Answer
Helen:

There is not enough information provided to indicate exactly what her problem is.  The slightly low GFR and increased creatinine indicates some degree of renal disease, but it's not specific.  There is no indication of the nature or cause of the renal colic.  Renal disease is not the result of low Vitamin D; rather the renal disease is most likely the cause of the low Vitamin D.

She should see a nephrologist for the renal disease and a urologist to look at the cause of her renal colic.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD