Urology/urination problems

Question
I urinate 30 times a day and drink 7 glasses of water.can this much urination cause hypenatemia.should I increase my sodium.could urinating this much aggreviate bladder

Answer
Howard:

Urinating alot does not by itself cause hyponatremia or hypernatremia and you certainly should not increase your sodium intake unless your physician instructs you to.  Urination at 30 times a day is clearly abnormal regardless of how much water you drink.  I suggest you do a voiding diary where for 24 hours you write down how much you void in mL and the time.  If the 24 hour total urine is much over 2000 mL, your urinary volume may be too high.  If the volume is less than 2000 mL, you could have an overactive bladder or prostate issue.  Check with your local physician for more specific details about your particular case.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD