Urology/vasectomy slip

Question
QUESTION: I am 38 i had a vasectomy about now 9 weeks ago and I was told that at 6 weeks or 20 ejacualtions I need to do the first of 2 semen tests. Well I forgot to do it at 6 weeks. But in meantime since 1 weeks after vasectomy I have had either thru sex or masturbation have ejaculated  about over 40 maybe 50 times and at 7weeks 5 days I was with my partner and there were no condoms and we elected the pull out of method and I ejaculated outside of her. At exactly 8 weeks to the day or just a few days after my little slip I got a semen analysis which was no sperm seen per my doctor. My question is what are my chances that this small slip may possibly get my gf pregnant? In previous relationships multiple times  I have used withdrawn method but never with her and that was before the vasectomy.

ANSWER: Jon

There is no way to know for sure or to calculate the exact risk percentage but it is likely to be very low.

QUESTION: What's more important ? The number of ejaculations or the time frame. I have read 15-20 is the number quoted on many sites. That's why I made me goal at 6 weeks to have 40 ejacukatjons by 6 weeks but missed my appointment until 2 weeks later and I continued until my first semen analysis and will continue until my second analysis. Also on the lab request it only asks for sperm and no sperm and not mention of mobility or non motility which it seems is another thing some urologists may ask for.

But I figured the risks are low. Just wanted another opinion. Thank you

Answer
Jon:

It takes both the time and the number of ejaculations.  Time is needed for any remaining sperm to run out of energy.  The number of ejaculations obviously clears out the sperm already in the system.  Both are necessary for optimal results.  

We don't typically ask for viability, motility or morphology of sperm after a vasectomy because it is far more costly, more time consuming for the laboratory tech and unnecessary.  The critical parameter is whether or not there are any visible sperm left.  If there are, then regardless of the mobility or motility, there is a risk of a pregnancy.  We only ask for these other parameters when we are investigating infertility.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD