Urology/Diet recommendation+

What would be your recommendations for diet/meds with the following test results of my 24 hr urine:
Volume   1.9
SS CaOx  6.31
Ca24     354
Ox24      31
Cit24    1035
SS CaP   0.76
pH       5.590
SS UA    1.98
UA24     0.953
Na24     237
K24      109
Mg24     129
P24     1.204
NH424     41
Cl24     277
Sul24     61
UUN24   15.37
PCR      1.2
Cr24    1468
Cr24/Kg 15.8
Ca24/Kg  3.8
Ca24/Cr24  241

My urine culture came back with
10,000-49,000 cfu/ml Staphylococcus aureus
1,00-9,000 cfu/ml mixed mucosal flora
Staph resistant to Ampicillin and Pencillin
Susceptible to Cefazolin, Ceftriaxone, Nitrofurantoin, Oxacillin, Tetracycline, Vancomycin, Ciprofloxacin, Levofloxacin, Trimethoprim/Sulfa
I have a sulfa allergy and sulfite sensitivity. Due to prior problems I cannot take the last three antibiotics.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Mary, if your prefer, you can just send me the abnormal lab results, including, of course, the normal laboratory values for these.
         Dr. Goldstein

Mary, before I can answer your question, I need more information. Specifically what is your underlying urologic problem(s).  Do you have a history of urinary stones, infection, etc.?   A bit more detail of your history will allow me to give you better recommendations.    I will also need the "normal values" for all of the lab data you sent as they may vary significantly from lab to lab based on the methodology utilized.

As far as the urine culture is concerned, it most likely just represents contamination and not a true UTI (urinary tract infection).  True infections generally have more than 100,000 cfu/ml.  Counts lower than this, especially those that contain more than one type of bacteria, are usually contaminants.   It is very important, especially in a woman, to have the urine  
collected so as to avoid contamination from vaginal secretions (which  almost always contain WBCs and bacteria).   This is usually done by collecting a proper mid-stream urinary sample after the vaginal opening and urethra are wiped several times with an antiseptic sponge.  Not all women are successful with this technique.  If doubt exists, a simple catheterized specimen should be accomplished as this sample is drawn directly from the bladder and prevents vaginal contamination.   

I await to hear from you when you provide the necessary information for me to answer the other parts of your question.  

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.

Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.

I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS