Urology/pomegranate juice

Question
Sir
I have been drinking pomegranate juice for its health
Benefits.
I did some reserch and found it raises testerone.
I am worried it will stop my own testerone  production
Causing testicle and penis shrinkage.
Is this true?or am I worrying for nothing.?
Kind regards

Answer
Michael, I was previously unaware of the potential of pomegranate juice to increase the testosterone levels.  I did know that it provides helpful antioxidants and may help to lower the blood pressure.  I read a number of online articles and they all site the exact same (and only) reference.  This was a study from Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh.  They tested only 58 volunteers and found that the "salivary" testosterone level increased in an average of 24% (16-30 %).  I can find no information on what a normal salivary testosterone level should be for as far as I know, this has never been used in the medical fields of urology or endocrinology.  We use the serum total and free testosterone levels.  I could find no reference in any other scientific literature.  This one study has been propagandized by some in  the nutrition industry to suggest that pomegranate juice is the "new Viagra".  I highly doubt that its possible beneficial effects will improve function in men with ED.

Now for your question specifically:   I think it just about impossible for 1-2 glasses of pomegranate juice daily to significantly increase your serum testosterone enough to curtail your natural testosterone production.  Giving a man exogenous testosterone orally or by injection can indeed lower normal testosterone production.  However, the amount given exogenously by these methods would provide a tremendously higher amount of testosterone than you would get from pomegranate juice.  

I do not believe you have any cause for concern.  If you still do, stop drinking the pomegranate juice.

Good luck.

Urology

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.