Urology/Question about penis erection

Question
Hi Dr. I'm a 29 year old male. I just have some general questions in regards to keeping an erect penis during intercourse. I've been having issues with trying to keep my penis erect during sex and wasn't sure if it was because I may have erectile dysfunction or if I possibly could have done damage to my penis with years of masturbating. During sex I'm able to get my penis hard, but after a few seconds it goes limp and I have to try to get it back up again. I've taken Korean ginseng which seems to help most of the time. But I was searching on the Internet about damaging the veins to the penis and I wondered could I have done something to that affect on mine. Is there a visible sign that there is damage to the penis area? Are veins supposed to be showing around the shaft area? I don't feel pain when I urinate or do physical activity in that area. Suggestions would be very helpful thank you.

Answer
Rainier:

It is not true that masturbation causes ED or any harm to the penis.

Failure to adequately maintain rigidity on a regular basis would be sufficient to constitute ED, at least as far as a definition.

Venous leak is one possible cause.  

There is no way you can determine this from an external examination of the penis.  Superficial veins on the penis or shaft are normal.

You should discuss this with your primary physician or consult a urologist.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD