Urology/Urinary retention problem

QUESTION: Hi Stephen,

I am 26 years old. I am thin, I don't drink much (once a week with friends) and don't smoke. I haven't had sex. I don't drink tea or coffee either.

I have been having urinary retention for a few months now. These are my symptoms :

1. I feel like my bladder has not been emptied after urinating
2. I feel like urinating sometimes, but nothing comes out
3. No pain experienced

I did a urine test and the results were that it was good, no protein was found in it, no sign of sugar, no sign of blood.

My erections are not as strong as they used to be, but I still get "morning wood" on some days.  I thought of getting a scan at a diagnostics center, but its cost is going to be $300, and I can't afford that much at this point.

I am assuming I have bladder stones that is obstructing the path of my urine.

I wanted to try some other remedies as part of my diet before I spend that much. Would you have any suggestions?

Online I saw that people suggest apple cider vinegar with water - I tried this for a just over a week, I didn't notice a difference.

I am seeing other suggestions like lemon juice and horse gram but what would you say is the most likely issue given my age, habits and symptoms?

Please suggest something I could try before considering a bigger step towards an ultrasound scan which would cost me a lot.

Thank you,

Bladder stones are unlikely in your situation. Vinegar does more harm than good as it acidies the urine and reduces citrate. Prostatitis is more likely. Avoid caffeine and hot spices. Try a hot tub twice a day.

QUESTION: Why do you think bladder stones are unlikely based on my description sir?

Are there any foods I could include in my diet if Prostatitis is the issue? Thank you.

Bladder stones are very rare in your age group. Also, they are usually associated with urinary blood and infections.which you did not describe.

Prostatitis can cause your symptoms and is common in men your age so this is far more likely.  For now, sitting in a very hot tub for 5-10 minutes and avoiding caffeine is the best you can reasonably do until you can see your physician.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute