Urology/Frequent Urination

Hi! I have a question regarding frequent urination. I am a 25 year old teacher. I have had for a year or two problems with constantly having to urinate. I have to go every hour, and wake up at least twice a night to go. When I have to go there is no stopping, I get pains in my stomach and cannot hold it. I had a yearly appointment with my gynecologist 4 months ago, and she did a urine culture, thinking it may be a uti. I went back last month for for w follow-up, and she asked if it had improved. I told her no, and she asked if I would like to be referred to a urologist. I am a teacher who doesn't have great insurance, so I told her I would just wait and maybe see my family doctor about it. It has not improved, but with its being summer it isn't as big of an issue. Should I see my family doctor for this? I am healthy, so I don't usually visit the doctor often. Should I try to contact my gynecologist again to see if there is something she can do regarding this problem? Thank you!

You probably are dealing with overactive bladder or OAB. This is sometimes due to excessive caffeine intake, but you may need medication if that isn't the answer. Made like Vssicar or Myrbetriq can make a major difference for you. A urology consult is not needed if your family doctor.will prescribe some standard OAB meds;
for you; only if they fail. Good luck.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute