Urology/Frequent Urination

Question
Hi! I have a question regarding frequent urination. I am a 25 year old teacher. I have had for a year or two problems with constantly having to urinate. I have to go every hour, and wake up at least twice a night to go. When I have to go there is no stopping, I get pains in my stomach and cannot hold it. I had a yearly appointment with my gynecologist 4 months ago, and she did a urine culture, thinking it may be a uti. I went back last month for for w follow-up, and she asked if it had improved. I told her no, and she asked if I would like to be referred to a urologist. I am a teacher who doesn't have great insurance, so I told her I would just wait and maybe see my family doctor about it. It has not improved, but with its being summer it isn't as big of an issue. Should I see my family doctor for this? I am healthy, so I don't usually visit the doctor often. Should I try to contact my gynecologist again to see if there is something she can do regarding this problem? Thank you!

Answer
Kaycee

You probably are dealing with overactive bladder or OAB. This is sometimes due to excessive caffeine intake, but you may need medication if that isn't the answer. Made like Vssicar or Myrbetriq can make a major difference for you. A urology consult is not needed if your family doctor.will prescribe some standard OAB meds;
for you; only if they fail. Good luck.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD