Urology/Pelvic Examinations

I could not find a doctor in the gynecology area to answer my question, but perhaps you can.  

When a female receives a pelvic examination, does the physician most generally insert his/her finger into her rectum?  If so, why is this procedure done?

I thank you for your reply.

This is obviously a gynecology question.  Check out the discussion at WebMD on this subject.

The reason to do a rectal exam on a woman is the same as on a man except for the fact that there is no prostate.  The main reason is the potential for hemorrhoids and rectal masses or cancers that can only be detected with a rectal exam.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute