Urology/Pelvic Examinations

Question
Hello:

I could not find a doctor in the gynecology area to answer my question, but perhaps you can.  

When a female receives a pelvic examination, does the physician most generally insert his/her finger into her rectum?  If so, why is this procedure done?

I thank you for your reply.

Answer
Kenneth:

This is obviously a gynecology question.  Check out the discussion at WebMD on this subject.

http://www.webmd.com/women/guide/pelvic-examination

The reason to do a rectal exam on a woman is the same as on a man except for the fact that there is no prostate.  The main reason is the potential for hemorrhoids and rectal masses or cancers that can only be detected with a rectal exam.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD