You are here:




I had an ultrasound one year ago which was normal. I had a recent ultrasound which showed mild to moderate right pelviectasis and dilated utereopelvis. My blood work is all normal. I am going for a follow up ultrasound. I am not able to find any information online about this condition. Is this something to be worried about?  I did have a recent uti which was odd because I don't normally get them. I am a 35 year old female with no other health issues.
Thank you


Pelviectasis means dilation of the renal pelvis.  This could be from a stone, reflux or obstruction. Or it could be nothing. If your next ultrasound is still abnormal, you will probably need to see a urologist to make a more definitive diagnosis.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]