Urology/Testicle position seems abnormal after orchiopexy

I had a torsion of the right testicle and surgery was performed to correct this at which time I was given orchiopexy surgery to secure both testicles to the scrotum (I had the bell clapper deformity).  One month later, it seems my right testicle is much higher than the left and farther forward in the scrotum, almost seems as if it is moving over the center line of the scrotum a bit.  I'm concerned the testicle wasn't fixed in the proper location during the surgery.  Is this possible or even likely?  Could this still be post operative swelling or a case where it will take more time for the appearance to return to normal?  If the testicle were fixed in an odd position, are there any risks from this?  Thank you in advance for your consideration.

After 1 month from surgery, the testicle is probably healed and fixed.  It is highly doubtful that the testicle was not fixed properly during surgery since that was the purpose of the procedure.  It is unlikely to be post operative swelling at this point. It will most likely stay in the current position which is fine as long as it doesn't bother you.  Check with your surgeon to get a better idea of what was found at surgery and possibly some insight into the current problem.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute