Urology/Testosterone Replacement Therapy

My husband has been injecting testosterone enanthate for a while now. 300 mg every 2 weeks.  He gets tested 7 days after the injection.  His results are different (big differences)every time. For example over the past 3 years tested every 6 months -
(range is 241-827)

Can you explain why the results would differ so much, why are they not more consistent? It's always the same dose, same day of the week and always tested 7 days after injection.

I would appreciate your response.  

Thank you

Testing 7 days after an injection is too long.  The goal of testing is to make sure that the peak level does not exceed normal (usually around 900).  Peak levels are typically done at 3-4 days after an injection.  The usual rule of thumb for dosage is 100 mg per week so a 300 mg dose would usually be sufficient for most people every 3 weeks but since individual chemistry differs this sometimes needs adjustment.

In this case, the average of the numbers seems reasonable but the peak levels are being drawn a little late.  I would suggest he try 200 mg every 2 weeks.  Also he should have a PSA level and blood count periodically while on testosterone supplementation.

QUESTION: I understand he should be tested sooner but is this normal for his results to be such big differences?  I thought with proper dosing it should be more consistent.

Thank you,

The numbers vary according to the exact location of the shot, how well mixed the injection was, was it lying around too long, was it injected in a site that has scar tissue or was it placed near a blood vessel, etc.  Some variation is normal and is expected particularly with testosterone.

If you want a more consistent level, you'd have to look at testosterone patches or gels which can do this.  However, they are much more expensive and insurance may or may not cover the cost.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute