Urology/Connection between urinary and respiratory infections

Professor Leslie,

my question concerns factors that icrease the recurrence risks for bladder inflammation in a person with suprapubic catheter. And specifically, I want to know if there's a connection to be found between the exposure to upper respiratory infections and the likelihood of developing a bladder inflammation. Can staying in a company of people who get you to have a bit stuffy nose and sore throat mean exposing oneself to a risk of developing a bladder condition? Can a strain on the immunological system caused by the respiratory infection facilitate development of bladder inflammation?

I also have another question on the subject of bladder infection: does a course of antibiotic treatment of a bladder inflammation -- assuming it is successful in eradicating all symptoms for a certain period after it is complete -- mean that the bladder is actually free of the malignant bacteria?

Thank you very much in advance for answers to those questions, Professor Leslie -- particularly to the first one.

As long as there is a suprapubic catheter, the bladder will remain full of bacteria.  Only when the bacteria invade the tissue or otherwise cause symptoms do we call it an infection.

There is no known connection between exposure to people with respiratory infections and UTI transmission or prevalence.

A course of antibiotics may mean that a bladder is "temporarily" free of bacteria, but new resistant bacteria and/or yeast will soon take over.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute