Urology/Penile injury

Question
Dr. Leslie, a week and a half ago I had an erection and flopped down on my bed and it bent.  There was no snapping or popping sound and no swelling or discoloration.  I still went to the ER to be safe, and they confirmed that it was not a penile fracture and there was no blood in my urine so they were not concerned with urethral damage.  I experienced no problems urinating.  After a week, I attempted to masturbate, more so to ensure I could still get an erection.  I was able to get an erection, though it did not feel quite as hard, and was difficult to sustain without constant stimulation.  I was also able to ejaculate.  Since then, however, my penis feels like what I can best describe as a "wet noodle."  Still no trouble urinating, and only occasional discomfort, but minor to the point that if I wasn't thinking about it I might not even notice it.  There is no pain to the touch.  My intention was to abstain from sexual activity for a while, but if I give it a few gentle tugs to see if there is any sensation or the feeling of getting an erection, there is not.  I don't assume that I will be back up and running within days of such an accident, but I am obviously worried about long-term ED.  I do plan to see a urologist, but in addition to your thoughts on what might have happened, I have two questions:  1. If this is in fact a situation where letting it heal is all that's needed, how long would it be until I got back to normal and could resume sexual activities? 2. Is there anything (ice, heat, medicine) that I can do to help the healing process?  I appreciate your help.  You can imagine the anxiety this has caused.

Answer
Jayson

It is not possible to predict the outcome without knowing exactly what is injured and how badly.  In general, these problems rend to slowly recover but it may take a year or longer.

There is some evidence for using cialis or viagra to help with healing. Talk to your physician.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD