Urology/penis nerve damage

I have been getting numb sensations along the side of the base of the penis which also seems to radiate further into my leg. At times I thought it was coming from my testicle however i now believe that i have some kind of nerve damage due to my masturbation technique where i would squeeze the bottom of my penis while masturbating. this has caused reduced blood flow and mechanical damage over the years. is this plausible?

I have been left with a mild numbing type diffuse pain (which worsens with any movement) and although its diffuse i have located the pain to be coming from the base of my penis on the right side, on the side of the penis, which is exactly where i had been applying pressure with my fingers.

The pain seems to come and go. is this chronic neuropathy?

are there nerves in that area which could be damaged in the way i have described? can it heal or not?

Nerve damage from masturbation would be extremely rare and unusual.

The nature of your abnormal sensation is not clear from the description.  The fact that it worsens with movement suggests a hernia or some level of inflammation.  A neuropathy is possible but would also be uncommon.

Have your physician check it out.  You may need to see a surgeon, urologist or neurologist depending on what your physician finds.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute