Urology/No ejaculation, having 6mm stone in urethra

For the past 4 days I've been taking Temsunol tablet and Stonex syrup for I've a 6mm stone in urethra. And today when I masturbated there was a dry orgasm. What's the problem?

First, it is important to know if the stone is in the urethra (the urinary tube between the bladder and the outside) or the ureter (the urinary tube between the kidney and the bladder).  A stone in the urethra needs to be removed urgently, a stone in the ureter may or may not pass by itself.  Usually a 6 mm stone is a little large to pass, but unless it is causing consistent pain or gets infected, we often will let it try to pass.  You should also talk to your physician about 24 hour urine testing and kidney stone prevention analysis/treatment if you are interested in reducing your future risk of forming stones.

Temsunol is a combination of dutasteride and tamsulosin.  The tamsulosin is the important part here as it will relax tension in the ureter and help stones pass more easily.  However, it has the side effect of causing problems with ejaculation which is why you noted the dry orgasm.  This will return to normal when you stop the medication.

I have no information on Stonex as it is an ayurvedic treatment which has never had any serious testing and for which there is no data on efficacy or safety.

Good luck.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute